Can’t remember the last time you saw a chiropractor? For most, chiropractic care is not seen as a preventative component when it comes to our health and well-being. However, whether you live an active lifestyle or spend most of your time working at a desk, there are benefits that can be seen from visiting a chiropractor regularly, they are probably not the obvious benefits you would associate with seeing a chiropractor.
This week Heather and Mark sat down with Drs. James and Anastasia Lander of Lander Chiropractic. They discussed the numerous benefits of chiropractic care, especially when seen as a preventative aspect of your well-being. While most people may wait to visit a chiropractor after they have endured an injury, there are many reasons to consider going to the chiropractor even if you are not currently recovering from physical pain. Here are 8 reasons to see a chiropractor:
- Relieves pain and/or the need for pain medications. Most commonly, people visit chiropractors for back and neck pain but those are not the only parts of the body that can be treated through chiropractic care. Chiropractors can also treat hip pain, knee pain, elbow, wrists, ankles and feet. They really look for total body alignment to make sure blood flow, nerves, and lymphatic fluids are flowing as they should. This is especially useful when chiropractors adjust the body to relieve pressure on nerves that are stimulated to cause pain, reducing the need for prescription pain medications.
- Improves sleep. You may not realize that position that you sleep in is affecting the quality of your sleep. The body can be set in a certain position for hours while you sleep, putting pressure on vertebrae of your spine or degenerating the tissue of your joints or muscles. Receiving chiropractic care can help identify these issues and provide adjustments to relieve pain and anxiety for a more restful sleep. Since sleep is a major component of health and well-being, there are numerous benefits that can be seen from this minor change.
- Increases activity levels. For patients who are inactive due to pain in their joints or limbs, relieving that pain can make being active a more pleasant experience. Inactivity leads to further joint damage and stress on other body parts. Seeing a chiropractor can help those who are looking to live a more active lifestyle.
- Boosts the immune system. Regular chiropractic care has been shown to boost immunity and white blood cells in your system. White blood cells are responsible for fighting off disease and bacteria in the body. Improving your body’s ability to fight off disease will not only have you feeling better, but will also keep you energy levels high.
- Improves fertility. A number of issues can lead to infertility, so it is not a guarantee that chiropractic care will help one’s chance of getting pregnancy. However, some infertility issues are caused by stress, bad lifestyle habits and an improperly functioning nervous system. Adjustments through chiropractic care can help improve on all of these aspects and, as such, improve fertility rates.
- Alleviates allergies and asthma. Studies show that chiropractic therapy has benefited patients who suffer from allergies and asthma by reducing the amount of medication needed. Allergic reactions in the body can be a result of the improper alignment of vertebra in the spine so for some, an adjustment can help mitigate allergy symptoms.
- Lessens behavioral and learning disabilities. As Drs. James and Anastasia mentioned on the show, there have been reports of cases of mildly autistic children benefiting from chiropractic care. Studies have shown that concentration can be improved, lessening agitation that can cause learning and behavioral issues. It can also reduce hyperactivity in children diagnosed with ADHD.
- Reduces hypertension. Research has shown that improving upper neck alignment has the same effect as blood pressure-lowering medication. In some cases, the effects of these adjustments lasted for six months. By creating better alignment in the spine and beck, the body is better able to reach a balanced state to manage hypertensive blood pressure.
As the above reasons show, there is much more to chiropractic care than helping to recover from injuries. It is important to view chiropractic care as a preventative measure that can be taken to reduce or avoid chronic conditions. In addition to regular chiropractic care, there are other services most chiropractic offices offer that can be preventative and help keep the body in balance. Massage therapy, acupuncture and nutrition counseling can all be provided to help patients achieve a better level of health.
Listen to the Full Podcast Episode HERE